Join us aboard this floating National Historic Landmark for a cruise and hear from experts about our wondrous Bay!
We'll set sail from Jack London Square in Oakland, hear from San Francisco Baykeeper on their efforts to improve the habitats and communities around the Bay, meet several unique experts on the Bay, and take docent-guided tours of the extraordinary Presidential Yacht, the USS Potomac. All this, and refreshments from our cash bar.
This event is in partnership with San Francisco Baykeeper, an organization that advocates for the health of the San Francisco Bay. The majority of profits from this event will go to supporting their mission.
The USS Potomac served as President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's yacht until he died in 1945. Its post-presidential owners ranged from Elvis Presley to drug smugglers, and the ship was on the verge of being sold for scrap before being rescued and restored into the marvel it is today.
Special guests and itinerary:
- An approximate 2 hr cruise around the Bay, with short stops and talks at several locations.
- Baykeeper and the importance of improving water quality in the Bay.
- Swimming in the Bay with Kim Chambers: The first woman to swim from the Farallon Islands to San Francisco, and champion marathon open water swimmer.
- Navigating the Bay Bridge and the legacy of the Cosco Busan oil spill with a San Francisco Bay bar pilot.
- The East Bay Municipal Water District wastewater treatment plant, with Bennett Horenstein, Director of Santa Rosa Water, formerly of EBMUD.
- The Golden Gate Bridge with Noel Stampfli, Senior Civil Engineer at the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Plus docent-guided tours of the USS Potomac.
Questions? Email Bart Bernhardt at email@example.com.